Mount St. Mary's HospitalShift: Shift 1Status:
Per Diem FTE: 0.100000Bargaining Unit:
SEIU Local 1199Exempt from Overtime:
Exempt: NoWork Schedule:
Days with Call Weekend and Holiday RotationHours:
varies to meet the needs of the department. Incumbent may participate in the on call rotation to meet the needs of the department to include holidays and weekends
Responsible for the delivery of the surgical patient through the process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation as appropriate to the ages of the patients served. Communicates findings as indicated to appropriate staff and documents same in the patient's medical record. Responsible for overseeing the care and services provided by other professional personnel by controlling the environment of care for safety of patients. Responsible for managing supplies and other equipment within the unit. Develops and maintains collaborative and collegial relationships with physicians and interdepartmental personnel as they relate to the care of the surgical patient. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, quality improvement programs, safety, environmental and infection control standards. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital / staff information. Strives to incorporate the Hospital's goal of "Quality care, in a personal manner, with total regard for individual human dignity".
- Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing required
- RN licensure in New York State required
- Bachelor of Science (BSN) preferred
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support preferred
- Certified Nurse OR certification preferred
- After internal nurses in an authorized position within the Mount St. Mary's Hospital Intraoperative Services are considered, internal OR Technicians with six (6) months of recent OR Technician experience in the Hospital's Intraoperative Services and current NYS registered nurse license will be considered.
- If there are no internal applicants as noted above or no external applicants with the six (6) months of recent registered nurse work experience in a Hospital Surgery Department, the Hospital will offer an Internship Program, for those internal candidates who possess a minimum of one (1) year of recent acute care experience
- If there are no internal candidates for the internship Program, then the Hospital will offer the Internship Program to external candidates who meet the same criteria as internal candidates.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Must possess current BLS within sixty (60) days from time of placement.
- The preceptor program will be a minimum of six (6) full-time months.
- Personal Computer
- Surgical hand and power tools
- Exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Exposed to hazards of handling diseased organs and tissues
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Exposed to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes
- Exposed to a variety of electro-mechanical hazards
- Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens
- Exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals
- Subject to burns and cuts
- Subject to injury from moving parts of equipment
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements
- May be exposed to/occasionally exposed to patient elements
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- May perform emergency care
- Exposed to hot or noisy work environment
- Exposed to hazards of steam and heat
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Requires judgement/action which could result in death of patient
- Handles absenteeism replacement on short notice
- Increased pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals due to photocopier
- Flexibility in scheduled working hours/days to meet needs of unit.
- Employee ID badge to be worn on uniform between shoulders and waist at all times while on duty.
- Required Protective Equipment:
- Eye protection may be required
- Face protection may be required
- Lab coat or apron may be required
- Mask may be required
- Non-sterile gloves may be required
- Sterile medical cloves may be required
- Gowns may be required
- Hair covering may be required
- Temperature Changes: variations in temperature from hot to cold