Sterile Processing Distribution Technician MSMH
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Lewiston, NY, United States
Date Posted: Jun 19, 2019
Status: Full Time Facility: Mt St Marys Hospital Work Schedule: Evenings with Call Weekend and Holiday Rotation Shift: 2: Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No FTE: 1.000000: Bargaining Unit: SEIU Local 1199Summary:
Performs cleaning and sterilization of instruments, equipment and supplies. Prepares packs and trays as directed. Handles and stores instruments, equipment and supplies appropriately. Assists in maintaining adequate inventory. Responsible for ordering supplies from stockroom and submitting other supply orders as necessary. Receives, processes and dispenses supplies for patient care. Provides in team assistance to include room turnovers, sterile supply management, case cart preparation, inventory control, sterile patient skin preps and direct patient care under the direction of a specialty team leader, Manager Intraoperative Services, Perioperative Business/Systems Supervisor and/or Director of Perioperative Services. Functions as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. Responsible for the transporting of patients from their rooms to surgery, from one area to another within the department of Perioperative Services, and communicating pertinent information to the R.N. if required. Responsible for general cleaning, running errands, relaying messages, assisting with patient care, and room turnover. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.Responsibilities:
- High school or equivalent. Must annually complete ten (10) hours of continuing education credits to remain qualified to function in this position. Failure to meet this standard will result in termination of employment.
- Basic Life Support preferred
- (i) Successfully passed a nationally accredited central service exam for central services technicians; and
- (ii) holds and maintains one of the following credentials administered by a nationally accredited central service technician credentialing organization: the certified registered central service technician credential, the certified sterile processing and distribution technician credential or a substantially equivalent credential (as determined by the Hospital); or is a student or intern performing the functions of a central service technician if the student or intern is under the direct supervision of an appropriately licensed or certified healthcare professional and is functioning within the scope of the student's or intern's training.
- Employees who fail to do so will be terminated. Exception: those incumbents who can provide evidence they were employed for services performed by a central service technician (as determined by the Hospital), for a cumulative period of one year, occurring within the four years immediately prior to the effective date of the law (specifically, January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2014) are deemed grandfathered.
- Note 1: An employee who does not meet the requirements above shall have eighteen (18) months from date of hire into that position to obtain the certified registered central service technician credential or the certified sterile processing and distribution technician credential.
- Note 2: Failure to meet and maintain this standard will result in termination of employment.
- Effective January 1, 2015, all employees MUST complete 10 hours of CE Credits per year beginning January 1 of each year through December 31.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Three (3) months experience in Processing/Sterilization; or three (3) months hospital experience as a Nursing Attendant in a hospital or skilled nursing facility; or a graduate from an accredited college with the completion of a Sterile Processing Technician Certificate Program preferred.
- Must also meet the certification requirement.
- Basic knowledge of sterilization and/or experience of techniques including but not limited to; identification, cleaning, processing and handling of equipment and wrapping of surgical instruments preferred.
- Electric razor; telephone; computer basics; photocopier; autoclave; washer/disinfector; sterrad; fax machine
- Operating room tables
- Patient positioning devices
- Heat Sealer
- Personal computer
- Steam Sterilizer
- Biological Incubator
- Exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimen
- May be exposed to infection and contagious diseases
- Exposed to hazards of handling diseased organs and tissue
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Exposed to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes
- Exposed to hazards from electrical/mechanical power equipment
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens
- Subject to burns and cuts
- Subject to injury from moving parts of equipment
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient elements
- Exposed to hot and humid work environment
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals due to photocopier
- Flexibility in scheduled working hours to meet needs of unit
- Wears hospital identification badge at all times while on premises, between shoulder and waist
- Punctuality is an expectation of this position
- Occasional overtime is an expectation of this position
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this position
- Required Protective Equipment
- Eye protection may be required
- Face protection may be required
- Lab coat or Apron may be required
- Mask may be required
- Non Sterile medical gloves may be required
- Utility gloves may be required
- Hair covering may be required
- Temperature changes: variation in temperature from hot to cold