Physician Assistant Surgical Services MHB
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Buffalo, NY, United States
Date Posted: Dec 12, 2019
Status: Full Time Facility: Mercy Hospital of Buffalo Work Schedule: Varied with Weekend and Holiday Rotation Shift: 3: Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes FTE: 0.920000: Bargaining Unit: ACE AssociatesSummary:
The Physician Assistant (PA) Surgical Services is an independent health care provider who, working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary health team, is responsible for providing comprehensive health assessment, diagnosis and treatment of individuals with acute and sub-acute illnesses consistent with privileges granted. The PA will utilize advanced clinical skills and knowledge to assess patients and manage all aspects of care, including ordering of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. PA will communicate clinical issues to the attending physician on call and facilitate arrangements for admission, discharge or intervention. This multifaceted role includes direct patient care, education, consultation, and treatment planning. Areas of responsibility include emergency room coverage for consultation and initial interventions, response to inpatient floor calls, facilitating patient preparation for admission and/or surgery. All duties and responsibilities must be accomplished with the guidelines of the established protocols and in accordance with the Physician Written Practice Agreement as required by New York State.Responsibilities:
- Graduate of an approved NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants and CAHEA accredited Physician Assistant training program (Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the AMA).
- Licensed Physician Assistant in New York, Current NYS license
- Valid certification by the NCCPA as developed by the National Board of Examiners
- Maintains Certification.
- Meets credentialing requirements as appropriate through the Medical Staff office.
- CPR certified / BLS required / ACLS required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL ABILITY
- Previous surgical support services as a mid-level provider, one (1) year preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a stressful situation.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills. Communication skills which may be inclusive of approach, tone of voice, speed of communication, respectfulness and non-verbal communication
- Good mental and physical health.
- Knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology, patho-physiology, and operative technique related to the operative procedures
- Ability to perform effectively in stressful and emergency situations.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and initiate appropriate preventive and corrective action.
- Ability to perform effectively and harmoniously as a member of the team.
- Participates in educational conferences and upgrades and maintains professional knowledge and skills related to the area of responsibility,
- Maintains confidentiality and understands the legal aspects of the job function, adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
- Role includes a variety of problems to be solved under general guidelines, and calls for a variety of decisions, some of which are complex and must be referred to a resource person.
- Assists in directing a small group of employees performing similar or related tasks of a semi-skilled nature.
- Computer literate
- Demonstrates excellent communication and customer service skills
- Subject to inside environmental conditions.
- Must be able to work in hectic environment making sound decisions at all times.
- Respond to surgical on-call emergencies.