Surgical Technologist MHB
Location: Buffalo, NY, United States
Date Posted: Mar 10, 2020
Facility: Mercy Hospital of BuffaloStatus: Full Time Work Schedule: Days with Call Weekend and Holiday Rotation Bargaining Unit: CWA Local 1133Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: NoHours:
6a-4p, 630a-430pShift: Shift 1:FTE: 1.013333: Summary:
Assists the surgeon at the sterile field by providing appropriate and adequate sterile instruments and other supplies during the operative procedure. Maintain the surgical field through aseptic practices. Works under the supervision of the Registered Nurse as a member of the perioperative team. Assists in the nursing care and preparation of the surgical patient for surgery, including assisting with circulating duties as delegated by the RN. Responsible for the assembly of cases. Works cooperatively with ancillary departments and other team members. Participates in performance improvement initiatives.Responsibilities:
- High School graduate.
- Successfully completed a nationally accredited educational program for surgical technology and holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally accredited surgical technologist credentialing organization OR
- Has completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Public Health Service Commissioned Corp OR
- Provides evidence they were employed as a surgical technologist in a healthcare facility for a cumulative period of one year, occurring within the four years immediately prior to January 1, 2015
- Must also complete annually fifteen (15) hours of continuing education to remain qualified to practice as a surgical technologist.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Two (2) years surgical tech experience in a cardiac OR setting required.
- Participates in educational conferences, maintains knowledge and skills related to the area of responsibility, maintains confidentiality, understanding of legal aspects of the job function, and adheres to hospital policy and procedures.
- Has obligation to conserve supplies, equipment and time in a cost-effective environment.
- Ability to work closely with and follow directions of MD and RN.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work under stressful conditions.
- Subject to environmental conditions.
- Available for on-call and holiday obligations related specifically to the cardiothoracic surgery services.