Registered Nurse First Assistant Surgery KMH N
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Kenmore, NY, United States
Date Posted: May 29, 2020
Facility: Kenmore Mercy HospitalStatus: Full Time Work Schedule: Days and Evenings with Call Weekend and Holiday Rotation Bargaining Unit: ACE AssociatesExempt from Overtime: Exempt: NoHours: variable; 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, 11-7, 12-8Shift: Shift 1:FTE: 1.000000: Summary:
Under the supervision and direction of the operating surgeon, functions during the intra-operative phase of the peri-operative experience. Does not function concurrently as the scrub nurse. Provides leadership by working cooperatively with ancillary, nursing, and other patient team personnel in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice in the surgical setting. Participates in performance improvement initiatives.Responsibilities:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required
- BSN strongly preferred
- Maintains a current New York State Professional License
- Completion of an accredited course in RN First Assistant that meets the AORN recommended education, meets requirements of statutes, regulations and institutional policies relevant to RN First Assistant standards for RN First Assistant programs, and is accepted by the Certification Board Perioperative Nursing.
- CNOR Certification required or Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner required
- RNFA certification is encouraged, once all requirements have been met to obtain certification.
- BLS required.
- ACLs preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- 3 years of experience as an Operating Room Nurse Required
- Previous RNFA experience strongly preferred
- RNFA experience for per diem position required
- Documentation of proficiency in peri-operative nursing practice as both a scrub and circulating nurse.
- Ability to apply principles of asepsis and infection control.
- Knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology, patho-physiology, and operative technique related to the operative procedures in which the RN assists.
- Ability to perform effectively in stressful and emergency situations.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and initiate appropriate preventive and corrective action.
- Ability to perform effectively and harmoniously as a member of the operative team.
- Ability to demonstrate skill in behaviors unique to the RN first assistant (as defined).
- Participates in educational conferences and upgrades and maintains professional knowledge and skills related to the area of responsibility, maintains confidentiality, understands the legal aspects of the job function, adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
- Role includes a variety of problems to be solved under general guidelines, and calls for a variety of decisions, some of which are complex and must be referred to a resource person.
- Assists in directing a small group of associates performing similar or related tasks of a semi-skilled nature.
- Instructs associates, assigns, evaluates performance and maintains efficiency of staff assigned to her/him.
- Has obligations to conserve supplies, equipment and time in a cost-effective environment.
- Practices the role of the RNF within the New York State Nurse Practice Act.
- Attendance at education offerings.
- Flexibility in hours.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Travel between sites is mandatory.
- Subject to environmental conditions.