Surgical Technician C MSMH
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Lewiston, NY, United States
Facility: Mount St. Mary's HospitalStatus: Full Time Work Schedule: Evenings, Days, with call, weekend and holiday rotation Bargaining Unit: SEIU Local 1199Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: NoHours:2:00pm-10:00pmShift: Shift 2:FTE: 1.000000:Summary:
Responsible to perform a variety of duties in assisting the surgical team in the operating room. Responsible for the delivery of patient care as directed by the Director of Perioperative Services, Manager Intraoperative Services and Manager of Perioperative Business/Systems as appropriate to the ages of the patient served in the surgical department. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, safety, environmental and infection control standards. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital/staff information. Strives to incorporate the philosophy and mission of Mount St. Mary's Hospital and to incorporate the Hospital's goal of Quality care in a personal manner with total regard for individual human dignity.Responsibilities:
- Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology required. Must annually complete fifteen (15) hours of continuing education credits to remain qualified to function in this position.
- Required Registration/Certification: The person must meet one of the following: (a) Successfully passed a nationally accredited educational program for surgical technologists; or (b) has completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps; or (c) provides evidence that the person was employed as a surgical technologist in a healthcare facility for a cumulative period of one year within the four years immediately prior to the effective date of the law (specifically, January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2014). Those under (c) are deemed grandfathered.
- Effective January 1, 2015, all employees MUST complete 15 hours of CE Credits per year beginning January 1 of each year through December 31. Employees who fail to do so will be terminated. BLS (Basic Life Support) required within one year of hire, and must remain current for duration of employment.
- Association of Surgical Technician Certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Six (6) months of scrub experience under the supervision of a clinical instructor in a hospital setting required. Must also meet the certification requirement.
- Six (6) months experience as a graduate surgical technologist in a hospital setting preferred. Must also meet the certification requirement.
- Diagnostic equipment
- May use surgical power tools
- May use computer/word processor/printer/fax
- Exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Exposed to hazards of handling diseased organs and tissues
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Exposed to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes
- Occasionally exposed to radiation hazards
- Exposed to hazards from electrical/mechanical/power equipment
- Exposed to a variety of electro-mechanical hazards
- Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens
- Exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/ chemicals
- Subject to burns/ cuts
- Subject to injury from moving parts of equipment
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements
- May be exposed to/occasionally exposed to patient elements
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- May perform emergency care
- Exposed to hot or noisy equipment
- Exposed to hazards of steam or heat
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
- Increased pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals due to photocopier
- Flexibility in scheduled working hours/days to meet needs of unit
- Employee identification badge to be worn on uniform between shoulder and waist at all times while on duty
- Required Protective Equipment
- Eye Protection required while scrubbed
- Face protection may be required
- Lab coat or apron may be required
- Mask may be required
- Sterile medical gloves may be required
- Gowns may be required
- Hair covering may be required
- Temperature changes: variations in temperature from hot to cold