Mercy Hospital of BuffaloShift: Shift 3Status:
Full Time FTE: 0.920000Bargaining Unit:
CWA Local 1133Exempt from Overtime:
Exempt: NoWork Schedule:
Nights with Weekend and Holiday RotationHours:
The Respiratory Therapist/Respiratory Technician provides treatment, care, and evaluation for patients with respiratory related concerns or insufficiencies in accordance with established policies, practices and standards. Performs patient assessment and delivers care per patient need and/or physician order including routine and intensive therapy and diagnostic procedures. Administers various types of medical gas delivery devices and responsible for medical gas cylinders. Provides respiratory support via non-invasive, positive pressure devices, and mechanical ventilation and administers prescribed doses of medicinal gases and aerosol drugs. The Respiratory Therapist/Technician monitors, assesses, and records patient status and response to treatments, therapies, and breathing support measures. Also responds to emergency team calls and codes. Responsible for setting up, operating, and cleaning of respiratory therapy equipment. Educates patients and family members and provides information about community support groups and other available programs. Orients and mentors new staff members and students. Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Associates hired after August 1, 2013
- Associates hired prior to August 1, 2013:
- Respiratory credential of RRT, CRTT, or CRT must be kept current
- Must possess valid New York State Respiratory Therapist license or Respiratory Therapy Technician license.
- BLS certification is required.
- Neonatal certification is required by February 1, 2015 for all current Respiratory Therapists/Technicians.
- ACLS certification is required by July 1, 2015 for all current Respiratory Therapist/Technicians
- Must have a minimum of an Associates Degree in Respiratory Therapy from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
- Must be a Registered Respiratory Therapist and must be kept current.
- Must possess valid New York State Respiratory Therapist license to practice Respiratory Therapy.
- BLS certification is required
- Neonatal certification is required within 1 year of hire date for all Respiratory Therapist/Technicians
- ACLS certification is required within 1 year of hire date for all Respiratory Therapist/Technicians
KNOWLEDGE,SKILL AND ABILITY
- Post-Hire Experience: Orientation and training to the essential functions of the position is expected to be completed during the introduction period.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work with all levels of healthcare personnel, as well as physicians, families, and visitors.
- Must possess the ability to assess/interpret patient data and draw appropriate conclusions.
- Possesses active listening skills and planning skills to carry out the responsibilities of a Respiratory Therapist.
- Must be knowledgeable in Respiratory Therapy and demonstrate sound judgment in performing clinical responsibilities.
- Maintains current knowledge in respiratory care treatments, therapies, and equipment.
- Provides care according to the appropriate age and condition of the patient.
- Frequent exposure to infectious diseases/blood and body fluids.
- Works with a variety of medical gases.
- Responsible to carry/respond to overhead pages/pager/phone when on duty.
- Lifting and positioning of patients and moving equipment to various locations throughout the facility.
- The periods of standing and walking are common throughout the shift.